Monday, April 27, 2009

Can Algerian ivy be completely eradicated in Los Angelus CA.?

I am a dilligant gardener and have brought the Ivy back 15 foot completely to fence lines.


If Ivy got planted 20 years ago and was watered a few seasons it does not need any water to survive. I understand you must get every fleshy part. I find that impossable?. I even worked with neighbors cleaning their ivy with permition?


I paid an outfit $500:00 dollors six months ago. I thought it was eradicated. I have planted other things including roses and found no I Ivy.


I thought the Ivy was gone untill. I was going to plant 2 climbing five gallon (huge)Francec E Lester roses and found mojor small clumps of new growth in those areas. I know roses and ivy will not work, I can not plant roses in this condition. Painting the trunk with a roundup solution has not worked well, it seems to stunt the growth but comes back . That is my cituation. Maybe I have done somthing incorectly?


Perhaps I am missing it?


Even moral support would help, Pauly

Can Algerian ivy be completely eradicated in Los Angelus CA.?
You've got the right idea with painting on the broad leaf shrub killer and keep at it it will eventually die out. Roots are every place so it takes time even years to totally be rid of the stuff. I live in Oregon and keep it at bay with the above suggestions. It's a major weed here too takes over forests kill anything in its path. It's umbeleivalbly herbaceous stuff.Just keep from spreading deep it contained. I just hate the stuff.
Reply:I can understand your frustration but there is hope for you. Roundup is a wonderful product but it wasn't designed to kill those "Hard-to-Kill" perennial plants such as ivy.





I'd recommend using any product that contains the active ingredient "Triclopyr"... commonly found at most hardware/nursery supply stores under the name of "Brush Killer" or "Brush B Gone" as well as other names.





You mix the required amount with water and spray all of the exposed ivy. If possibe, try mixing in a little dishsoap with the solution...the dishsoap will help make the solution adhere to the leaf surfaces a little better and also helps allow more triclopyr to enter into the ivy...resulting in better control.





Wait a couple of weeks and spray any re-growth (if any).





Hope this works for you and gets rid of that invasive ivy. GOOD LUCK!





-Certified Professional Crop Consultant with over 30 years of experience and a Degree in Plant Science


No comments:

Post a Comment