Friday, November 18, 2011

Ivy Tech sent me info from "state" and "community" colleges. What's the difference?

Can anyone tell me the difference between "Ivy Tech Community College" and "Ivy Tech State College"?

Ivy Tech sent me info from "state" and "community" colleges. What's the difference?
Although the name would certainly lead me to believe that this was a private technical college, their website suggests that they are a public school in Indiana. Normally, a community college is a 2-year college which offers an associate's degree, and a state college is a public 4-year university offering a bachelor's degree. Looking at their website, however, I see no evidence that they offer anything beyond the associates level and, given that Indiana already has a rather complicated system of Purdue campuses and Indiana State University and Ball State University and the like, I'm not at all sure that this isn't just a system of community colleges which, because they have campuses in various locations, calls itself a "state" college.
Reply:I don't know about that college, but most community colleges don't have dorms for people to stay in. Community colleges you usually drive back and forth to the campus from your home or apartment. Community colleges are usually smaller.


No comments:

Post a Comment