Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Ivy, why the attraction?

I keep reading notes about people trying to get into the Ivy, so I have to assume that it is still open. I ate there about 4 or so years ago and was not really impressed with the place. Ok, I'm an American and I guess our food is different from British food, but I would just like to know from a true Brit what is it that makes the restaurant so popular, is it the food or the name. I found the food rather bland, is that what you enjoy, please understand, I am not putting you down in anyway, I went through contortions to get that reservation, and I did have some marvoulous meals, especially Indian while in England. But I just want to understand the attraction of the Ivy. Thanks so much

The Ivy, why the attraction?
I am fortunate that through my job I get to eat in some on London's best restaurants two or three times a week. I go to The Ivy with clients about 6 times per year.





You are absolutely correct. The food is mediocre. In fact, I said as much in reply to another questioner who was asking about going there for her office Christmas Lunch.





The Ivy is popular because it is one of the places "to be seen". It is used by media types and "luvvies" who go to see and be seen. For them - the food is secondary to the image. Everyone else goes because they want to tell their friends that they have eaten The Ivy and who they saw there.





To be honest, I very seldom enjoy myself as I find it all very pretentious and contrived - and I only go when a client takes me. It would not be a destination venue if I was booking a table.





There are so many better restaurants in london, both in terms of food quality and atmosphere. Wilton's in Jermyn Street, The Gay Hussar in Soho, The River Cafe at Hammersmith and The Guinea Grill in Mayfair to name just four.

mobility scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment