Saturday, November 14, 2009

Why is my IVY dying?

I planted some ivy as groundcover in Mid-May, and by a month later, some of the ivy had actually died. Some of the plants were reduced to stalks with one or two leaves, which made me think that something was eating them. The leaves were not discolored so I don't think it was a fungus. But some of them were dried up in the spot where they were planted.





I planted them after killing off the grass in the area with grass killer, allowing it to dry for a week. The young ivy were then surrounded by mulch. I watered it daily for three hours between 6-9pm. The initially grew very well and now this. Is there a special fertilizer or bug killler that I should be using?

Why is my IVY dying?
It is either that the grass killer is still active or you are over-watering it. It's pretty hard to kill ivy.
Reply:You did not mention where you planted the ivy. Usually, ivy does better in a shady area. Also, I am wondering if you could try putting some good soil mix like Schultz or Miracle Gro. I am also curious if the grass killer was partly the cause.





If you aren't afraid to do it, I would suggest placing the ivy in another area if they are in too sunny of a place.





Best wishes. Ivy is beautiful.


No comments:

Post a Comment