Monday, November 16, 2009

Young poison ivy plant?

I was in the yard about 6 hours ago and I just noticed that my face was becoming red on the right side, with swelling and itching. I looked out where I was, and there was a baby poison ivy plant. I am HIGHLY allergic to poison ivy. My right eye is swelling. The plant was a baby plant; very small but had some red spots in the green leaves. How strong is this plant compared to that of an adult plant? Should I go to the ER now and get my steroid shot?





P.S. I had this before on the left side of my face; it took two months before getting any better

Young poison ivy plant?
HI Rye,





I am very sorry to hear about your problem. If you are that allergic that you require a shot of steroid, I would highly recommend that you seek medical advice right away.





As far as the plant... poison oak and ivy have Urushiol oil that causes the reaction in many people. This toxin is located on every part of the plant... roots, stems, leaves, pollen, etc. The oil is also present throughout the entire year, whether or not leaves are present.





A baby plant is just a toxic as an adult plant.





There are also a couple of over-the-counter lotions that might help to reduce the effects and duration of your reaction. One lotion is called, "Tech-Nu" (I am not certain of the spelling) and it is usually located in the same area as calamine lotions. Follow the directions and it will help to remove the oil and to reduce the itching effect.





I hope this is of some help to you.





Hiking Tony
Reply:Where do you live that the poison ivy plant would be green already? However you can get poison ivy from dry poison ivy in the winter time. I got it from carrying wood in for the fire place. We had cut %26amp; stacked the wood in the fall and it was


months later that I got poison ivy all over my arms. I am highly


alergic to it also. The plant size doesn't matter either. If you are swelling and getting alergy symptoms you need to see your Dr. He, or she can give you a shot that will begin to take effect pretty quickly. Best of luck


No comments:

Post a Comment