Friday, May 21, 2010

How can I remove dead ivy from my bldg. without damaging the surface?

I have ivy growing up the side of a concrete building that is coated with a painted surface. I have cut the ivy at the base, but find that trying to remove the fresh ivy from the wall, it is taking paint with it. Would it help to let it completely dry out and die before trying again to get it off the wall?

How can I remove dead ivy from my bldg. without damaging the surface?
You got it


The ivy needs to grow all the way to the ground cut it off before it hits the ground. Severing the roots. Let the stuff dry out. All the Way...When that has happened soak it for about an hour with a hose set on power wash or stream and that should remove it. Ivy does have little roots all through the plant structure and thats whats grabbing onto your wall when they dry out they shrink and can be removed.
Reply:the ivy has grown under the paint as it attached to the wall, so even letting it die and then removing will still remove the paint. It's best to remove the ivy completely, repaint the wall and then use somethign to prevent further growth of the ivy.


Ivy helps keep a building cool, so unless it is growing under shingles or causing damage to the structure...frankly, I would leave it.


No comments:

Post a Comment